Zamboni colors selected
Thank you to everyone that voted for the paint color combinations to appear on the new Zamboni’s at Buhr Park and Veterans Memorial Park Ice Arenas. The winner for Buhr was #1, a combination of orange and navy blue. Voters selected #4 for Veterans Memorial with colors red and black. Look for the new colors this fall.
Wednesdays are back at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market
Shop local with us 7 a.m.-3 p.m. on Wednesdays and Saturdays from May through December. Asparagus season is starting, and you’ll find plants and cut flowers for your garden, spring greens, eggs, pasture raised meat, artisan products and more! Please note there is construction on 5th and Detroit Street this season. You’ll find free parking in the market lot (Wednesdays) and at the Ann-Ashley parking structure (Saturdays 8 a.m.-3 p.m. For details visit http://www.a2gov.org/FifthAvenue. 315 Detroit St.
River trips and the canoe liveries are open
The Argo and Gallup Canoe Liveries are open for the season. For details on river trips and stillwater paddles http://www.a2gov.org/canoe or call 734.794.6240. Don’t miss our annual canoe and kayak auction at Gallup Canoe Livery. Saturday, May 5 at noon. This public auction of used and damaged boats features Michicraft aluminum canoes, Tributary Tomcat two-person inflatable kayaks, and Tribe two-person and one-person kayaks. 3000 Fuller Road.
Argo Canoe Livery is open on weekends 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Gallup Canoe Livery is open every day 10 a.m.-7 p.m. On weekends the 2.5 hour river trip is available from the Gallup Livery between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and the 1.5 hour river trip is available from the Argo Livery between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. On weekdays go to the Gallup Livery for all boat rentals. For more information http://www.a2gov.org/canoe or call 734.794.6240.
Buy your summer pool passes
It’s not too early to buy your summer pool passes. You can stop by Veterans Memorial Indoor Pool or Mack Indoor Pool to purchase or use our convenient online system at https://secure.rec1.com/MI/city-of-ann-arbor/catalog
Sunday – the first of two free events in honor of Ann Arbor’s Water Month
Come see how Michigan’s best tasting water is made at our annual open house. Saturday, May 5 from 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Water Treatment Plant (919 Sunset Rd.) Free activities, light refreshments, giveaways and entertainment.
Golf, golf, golf
Both Huron Hills (HH) and Leslie Park (LP) Golf Courses are open for the season. You can make an online tee time at http://www.a2golf.org or call HHGC, 734.794.6246 or LPGC, 734.794.6245. Ask about FootGolf, upcoming special events, leagues and tournaments. Mother’s Day Special! Moms can walk nine or 18 holes of golf for free with a paid child at HHGC and LPGC. Sunday, May 13.
Natural Area Preservation (NAP) Stewardship Workdays
Join us to volunteer for the following NAP work days. Activities include removing invasives, etc. Please remember: All participants must complete a release form, and all minors should be accompanied by a guardian. Tools, snacks, and know-how provided. Please wear long pants and closed-toe shoes.
Saturday, May 5
* Lakewood Nature Area, 9 a.m.-noon. Meet us in the Lakewood Elementary School parking lot off Gralake Avenue.
* Folkstone Park, 1-4 p.m. Meet at the park entrance at the north end of Folkstone Court.
* Dolph Nature Area, 1-4 p.m. Meet at the parking lot off Wagner Road.
Sunday, May 6
* Oakridge Nature Area, 9 a.m.-noon. Meet us in the southwest corner of the intersection of Glazier Way and Huron Parkway.
* Furstenberg Nature Area Native Garden Event, 1-4 p.m. Join us at this special workday in honor of National Public Gardens Day. Meet in the parking lot off of Fuller Road.
Tuesday, May 8, Bruegger’s Bagels, 709 N. University Ave., 7:30-8:30 a.m. Are you interested in learning more about how to care for our natural areas? Free! For more information go to http://www.stewardshipnetwork.org. This month’s topic: Japanese stiltgrass. Regarded as one of the country’s top invasives and was discovered in Michigan in 2017. Learn how it was detected, documented and destroyed in Scio Township, and how you can be on the lookout for it on your land.
GIVE 365 Volunteers Needed
* Thursday, May 10, 9 a.m.-noon at West Park Rain Garden. During this public workday, volunteers and GIVE 365 staff will go on a nature walk to learn more about rain gardens. Water Resources Commissioner’s staff will lead the training on why rain gardens are important, how they are built and how to care for them into the future. We will also remove spring invasives and practice plant identification. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Bring a water bottle and dress for the weather. We will provide tools, gloves, water and expertise. Meet at the Chapin Street parking lot.
* Saturday, May 19, 9-11a.m. Join GIVE 365 for the 29th annual Ann Arbor Blooms Day! In partnership with the Downtown Development Authority and State Street Association, we will be planting flowers and beautifying downtown parks and flower beds. All materials and supplies are provided, although if possible, bring work gloves and a trowel, as these are limited. Check in at Liberty Plaza (between Liberty and South Division) at 9 a.m. Contact us to sign up at email@example.com or 734.794.6445.
* Sunday, May 20, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. at Huron River Day. Come support this wonderful event on its new date by volunteering! Volunteers are needed in two shifts (11a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 2:30 -6 p.m.p.m.) to help at information booths, direct traffic & parking, provide information to event goers, photo booth, assist livery staff on docks, bike corral, fishing station and more! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734.794.6445 to sign up for your shift. 3000 Fuller Road.
Ann Arbor Senior Center programs
* AARP HomeFit. One way to make a home more livable is to incorporate design principles and products that are adaptable, safe and easy to use. Learn how to modify your home to improve independence and receive a HomeFit personal planning guide from AARP. Call 877.926.8300 to register. Friday, May 11, 12-2 p.m., free. 1320 Baldwin Ave.
* Time Well Spent by Rupert Condict Art Reception. His forty years as an architect inspired much of his work. Rupert’s first watercolor on display was painted while a student at U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. From structures like condominiums, family homes and lake houses to old cars, animals, and families, stop by to admire the beautiful watercolors of Rupert Condict. Friday, May 11, 6-8 p.m. 1320 Baldwin Ave.
38th Huron River Day 2018! NEW DATE
Join us Sunday, May 20, 1-5 p.m. Enjoy the beautiful Huron River with free, family-friendly river activities during the Huron River Day celebration at Gallup Park, 3000 Fuller Road in Ann Arbor. For all the details visit http://www.a2gov.org/HRD