With a commitment to artistic quality and including the public in its public art and design projects, The Arts Alliance is implementing a two-step selection process. The first step is to seat a community jury that includes members of the general public and art experts who will select 12 PowerArt! semifinalists from the eligible submissions. The second step is to conduct an online community vote to select the eight finalists.
Jury applications are now being accepted. To be considered for the jury, community members must currently live, work or go to school in Washtenaw County. Jury applications are being accepted now through Aug. 8 and may be found here.
The PowerArt! 2018 project received a $15,000 Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs grant that requires a 1:1 donation match from individuals, businesses and other sources. To sponsor a PowerArt! box or make a donation, click here or call 734-213-2733.
To date, 25 PowerArt! boxes have been installed in the Ann Arbor Downtown Development District. Fun, whimsical and popular with townies, visitors and artists, ponded enthusiastically to the project. Here is what some of them had to say:
- This is seriously cool. What a perfect canvas!
- Great work by these artists! This is art that can be enjoyed by everyone…at an affordable price!
- Just love them….also, why just downtown? City neighborhoods would benefit from some attention.
- I’m really pleased with how my artwork looks on its box and how wonderfully it’s held up to weather.
- Thank you for including me in this wonderful endeavor! I had so much fun and thoroughly enjoy all the boxes every time I walk through downtown – they’re all so amazing! It truly feels like I was a small part in something incredibly special.
The City of Ann Arbor reports multiple benefits from the PowerArt! project. In addition to transforming the previously unsightly battleship gray traffic boxes that collect flyers and graffiti into colorful canvases displaying the work of local artists and beautifying its downtown, the City of Ann Arbor has found a practical benefit from PowerArt-vandalism and maintenance cost have decreased.
For more information about PowerArt!, please contact The Arts Alliance at info@A3Arts.org or 734-213-2733.