Football: Skyline’s big third quarter helps Eagles knock off River Rats


Skyline used two big plays – one on offense and one on defense – early in the third quarter to turn a close game into a comfortable lead over rival Huron on Friday night. The Eagles glided to a 38-0 victory over the host River Rats to even their record at 3-3 and keep their playoff hopes alive.

Huron falls to 0-6 on the season.

Ahead 3-0 at halftime, Skyline QB Davion Pipkins threw a long pass basically up for grabs hoping that receiver Kenyatta Ewing would make a play. The senior made a huge play, outjumping the Huron defensive back for the ball and then walking into the end zone to complete a 54-yard scoring play.

Andrew Lafferty delivered the extra point to give the visitors a 10-0 lead with 10:39 left in the third quarter.

The Skyline defense then did its thing. Aiden Tate picked up a fumble deep in Huron’s end of the field and took it to the house for another Skyline touchdown. Lafferty’s extra point gave Skyline a 17-0 with 8:19 left in the third quarter.

The Eagles scored again in the fourth quarter. Anthony Henry had a big run for the Eagles to the Huron 16-yard line. The junior then raced to the 7-yard line. He then took it into the end zone from three yards out to push the lead to 24-0 with 10:01 left in the game.

With 5:58 to play, Putten ran it in from seven yards out to give Skyline a 31-0 lead.

A 40-yard run by Servon Hinton made it 38-0 in the closing minutes.

The Eagles had the first big play of the game when Jordan Wilson had an excellent punt return to set the visitors up with great field position. The sophomore zigged and zagged his way to the Huron 37-yard line.



A solid run by Solomon Putten for 10 yards on first down moved the chains again.

On third and long, Pipkins hit Brian Scurlock along the sidelines for a big gain and a first down at the Huron 5-yard line. But the River Rats’ defense was up to the challenge. A strong defensive play by Mike Davis resulted in a loss of yards for the Eagles.

Skyline’s Andrew Lafferty attempted a field goal but the ball clanged off the upright and bounced back onto the field.

In the second quarter, Pipkins made some things happen with his legs. On third and long, he kept the ball and ran for a first down to the Huron 48-yard line. He then scrambled his way for another 10 yards to the Huron 38-yard line.

A pass to Kobe Clemons picked up a first down at the Huron 20-yard line and the Eagles were in business.

But once again, the River Rats’ defense grounded the Eagles. On fourth and 11, Huron was called for a face mask which made it fourth and one. While trying to draw Huron offsides, the Eagles jumped so they turned to the field-goal team.

This time, Lafferty drilled it through the uprights from 33 yards to give Skyline a 3-0 lead with 7:17 left in the second quarter.

Late in the second quarter, Huron’s Davis turned a botched punt attempt into a first down when he picked up the bad snap and ran to the Skyline 47-yard line. But the River Rats failed to move the ball from near midfield.

On the last play of the first half, Skyline threw a long pass that almost resulted in points before the receiver was finally dragged down at the 8-yard line with no time left on the clock.

UP NEXT: Saline at Huron
UP NEXT: Bedford at Skyline (Homecoming)

Tags from the story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *